The statue of Our Lady of the Isles (Gaelic: Moire ro Naomh nan Eilean} is situated on the western slopes of Ruabhal, a hill near the northern end of South Uist. It was commissioned following proposals from the Ministry of Defence for a large missile testing range. This would have involved construction of a military town as well as facilities for building missiles. There was concern that this would destroy much of the island’s way of life, culture and language. Resistance to the proposals was led by Canon John Morrison, the local parish priest. He commissioned and raised funds for the construction of the statue. It was completed in 1957, and dedicated in 1958. The statue was designed by Hew Lorimer, and sculpted from granite. In 2007 the statue was listed as a Category B listed building